Monday, February 7, 2011

Purity...

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God."

Matthew 5:8

In a world so tainted by sin and selfish nature, purity seems to be a rarity. Yet this weekend we were blessed to celebrate one of the purest souls that I have ever known...my mamaw.

Mamaw was such a kind, gentle woman. She loved everyone with an unconditional love, never judged others, nor did she have anyone she could call an enemy. I can't ever recall seeing her lose her patience or her temper with anyone, even in trying moments. In my eyes, and many others, she was perfect.

On top of my memories of her pure heart, I feel like I actually, truly knew my mamaw. I think some grandkids "know" their grandparents from visiting on holidays and such but I had a wonderfully close relationship with her. I spent many a day at Mamaw's house when I was younger. There were years in my childhood that my mom worked but instead of having to go to a babysitter, I got to go to Mamaw's. I enjoyed everyday with her! Our days started with gravy and biscuits almost every morning and we would spend the day swinging on her front porch swing, walking to the creek, or even venturing out to town.

Mamaw's house was the place for my cousins and I to hang out and spend the night. I don't really remember there being any toys at her house yet we always enjoyed ourselves and never wanted to leave. From writing on the old walls in her upstairs (and yes, she knew we were doing it!), to sliding down her steps or banister, to pulling a mattress in the living room floor and staying up late talking, we loved our times at Mamaw's house.

It was so hard to lose such a wonderful, pure person but she lived a full, happy life and is now rejoicing in Heaven. Monday, two days after we buried Mamaw we had the most beautiful snow. The flakes were the biggest I'd ever seen. They looked like angel's wings and the softness and pure white of the flakes made me think of Mamaw. She was an angel here on Earth and is now an angel in Heaven. I pray that as she looks down on me and my children that I can begin to mirror her character more and more everyday.



"Create in me a pure heart, and renew a steadfast spirit within me."

Psalm 51:10

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

That was a beautiful tribute to your mamaw, Angela. Thanks for sharing it! I loved your photos as well. I am sure your mamaw was/is proud of you.

You brought to my mind some memories, too! My two great-aunts lived next door to my grandmother. They were like grandmothers to me as well, and we had such fun at their house! I never thought about it before, but they also did not have toys at their house. But we slid down the banister and played dress-up with old clothes from years gone by. We played hop-scotch in the basement and had all sorts of adventures. Those fun times cannot be equaled with any kinds of toys, can they?!

Debbie said...

How precious!!! We all hold wonderful memories of Mom/Mamaw that will live on our hearts forever. Heaven gained a true jewel when Mom entered in!!!!

Love you,
Mom